Enjoy your stay in Okinawa, have a safe trip home, and see you in next ISDEIV!
Welcome addressThe 30th International Symposium on Discharge and Electrical Insulation in Vacuum (ISDEIV) will be held in Okinawa, Japan.
Information- 2023/10/17 Sincere thank Prof. Yamano, Secretary of ISDEIV2023 for his great efforts to ISDEIV2023.
- 2023/7/31 Paper submission for Special Issue - Electrical Discharges in Vacuum – 2024 in IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science (TPS) has been linked. The deadline for the submission is September 30th , 2023.
- 2023/7/4 IEEE DEIS YP event in ISDEIV2023 has been introduced in Linkedin.
- 2023/6/30 Announcement: NEXT ISDEIV will be held in Chengdu, China.
- 2023/6/25 Photos of ISDEIV2023 have been uploaded. (Updated from time to time) (Password required)
- 2023/6/24 Notice for the presentation time.
- 2023/6/22 Announcement for Special Issue - Electrical Discharges in Vacuum – 2024 in IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science .
- 2023/6/22 ISDEIV2023_proceedings can be downloaded here. (PW required).
- 2023/6/21 Program_230620 has been updated.
- 2023/6/12 Application deadline of "Best Film Award" has been extended to June 14, 2023.
- 2023/5/26 Information for the poster prestentation: Preparation of poster_230617
- 2023/5/26 Important remind: Application deadline of "Best Film Award" is approaching! (May 31, 2023)
- 2023/5/26 Program at a glance_230526 has been updated.
- 2023/5/23 Preliminary program_230523 has been updated.
- 2023/5/11 Information about "Workshop" held on Jun. 25. has been updated.
- 2023/5/10 Block program has been uploaded.
- 2023/5/2 Important notice about submission of FINAL VERSION of your manuscript:
For the publication of your paper on IEEE Xplore, please submit the final version of your manuscript by May 14th,
which should be processed by IEEE PDF eXpress.
Follow the submission guideline below.
NOTE: only presented papers will be published in IEEE Xplore Digital Library as the conference proceedings.
- 2023/4/24 For those who have not yet submitted their fullpaper, it can be submitted until Apr. 30.
- 2023/4/21 Information of DEIS Young Professional (YP)event:
Lunchoen seminar will be held in Jun. 25th (Sun). In the registration page, you can find the participation.
→ about DEIS-YP
- 2023/3/22 Important notice for registration
The early bird discount for participation fees will be extended from March 24 to May 1.
- 2023/3/15 Application deadline of "Best Film Award" has been extended. (
- 2023/3/13 Fullpaper submission has been extended. (Deadline:
- 2023/3/9 Important notice for VISA: Please refer to the following.
Ministory of Foreign Affairs of Japan: https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html
Due to the current situation, we recommend you to apply as early as possible.
- 2023/1/27 Tentative program was uploaded.
- 2023/1/26 Submission and application method about Best Film Award was informed.
- 2023/1/8 Welcome address of the PISC chairperson was uploaded.
- 2023/1/1 Welcome message of the LOC chairperson was uploaded.
- 2022/12/15 Registration/Accommodation system was now opened.
- 2022/12/12 Conference template for ISDEIV2023 (MS-word version only) is now available.
- 2022/10/15 Abstract submission has further been extended. (Deadline:
- 2022/07/16 Abstract/Paper submission system is now available!
- 2021/09/30 ISDEIV2023 Location PR movie has been uploaded.
- 2021/07/12 ISDEIV2023 webpage has opened.
We have received nearly 200 abstracts, and we are expecting that the latest research findings on vacuum insulation and discharge phenomena will be presented at the symposium. Despite several challenges, such as the COVID-19 pandemic and regional wars, you have sent us your significant research findings. I sincerely acknowledge your active participation at this time and wish for the continual progress of these technological and scientific field activities.
As stated in the by-laws of ISDEIV, the symposia have been held worldwide in even numbered-years since its inception. Therefore, when I proposed the 30th symposium in Okinawa, Japan, I intended for it to be held in 2022. However, because of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, the 29th symposium in Italy was postponed to 2021, and the 30th symposium was rescheduled for 2023.
I believe that the year 2022 has profound significance. After remaining occupied for a long time following World War II, the Okinawa islands were returned to Japan in 1972. The year 2022 marked the 50th anniversary of the reversion of Okinawa to Japan. Also, this year I turned 70. I truly felt the profundity and prepared the symposium; nevertheless, we were forced to postpone it to the following year. Despite such unexpected personal disappointments, I am delighted to hold this symposium in a face-to-face format. I hope that this symposium will be one of the definitive proofs of humanity’s victory over the unprecedented pandemic.
I believe that the significance of conducting symposia in a face-to-face format is as follows.
We would like to encourage younger engineers and researchers working in academic fields. For this purpose, we will provide them with numerous opportunities, such as the opportunity of talking and listening directly to famous scientists or researchers at the symposia venues or obtaining unwritten information in published papers from them. Moreover, we will take them to the most prestigious research institutes and industrial facilities. We also invite well-known researchers from around the world. For example, we will visit the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, Churaumi Aquarium, where there is one of the biggest fish tanks in the world, and Bankoku Shinryoukan, which hosted the Okinawa Summit. We will schedule as many face-to-face sessions as possible for you all. Please make these occasions beneficial.
As is well known, to realise a sustainable society, which is a common goal, we should utilise vacuum insulation and discharge technologies in various industries. I think this is the main message that ISDEIV has been constantly sending out.
I would like to propose the slogan of this symposium:‘Vacuum Insulation and Discharge Technology for Environment-Friendly Electric Power Systems.
Welcome to the subtropical and tranquil islands of Okinawa.
Eiji Kaneko, the LOC chairperson of ISDEIV2023
ISDEIV is an international forum with a long history of scientific exchange and advancement. Since the first Symposium in 1964, ISDEIV has been held every 2 years. The vision for ISDEIV is to encourage the advancement of the science and application of electrical insulation and discharges in vacuum, primarily through exchange of scientific information and data exchange. Over the past 60 years, ISDEIV has played an important role in advancing scientific progress, fostering technological innovation and application, and cultivating young talent in the field.
As we move into a future with greater climate change challenges and increasing demands for clean energy, the theme of ISDEIV becomes even more relevant. Higher voltage level vacuum switching technology is highly anticipated in order to achieve more environmentally friendly switching devices. A variety of accelerators and reactors for fusion energy have put forward higher demands on the science and technology of vacuum insulation and discharge. I hope the greatest minds in our community can continue to push forward the frontier of this field.
On behalf of the Permanent International Scientific Committee of ISDEIV, I hope this symposium will provide all the participants an opportunity to discuss their progress and latest developments, as well as the challenges our field will encounter in the future. We encourage and welcome ISDEIV participants to take advantage of all sessions, workshop, and panel discussions.
I look forward to seeing you all in Okinawa this year.
Shenli Jia, Chairperson of Permanent International Scientific Committee of ISDEIV
Generals of the ISDEIV2023
The International Symposium on Discharge and Electrical Insulation in Vacuum (ISDEIV) is a non-profit, international organization whose purpose is to encourage the advancement of the science and application of electrical insulation and discharges in vacuum, primarily by conducting symposia for the exchange of scientific information. The Symposia are held biennially. They are interdisciplinary meetings for the exchange of results, presentation of progress, and discussion of ideas and challenges for the future in the field of electrical discharges and insulation in vacuum. Both fundamental and applied aspects are covered. Symposia program consist of invited talks, invited oral contributions, and posters. Minicourses and informal discussions on relevant topics may also be offered in addition to the regular Symposium schedule.
|Date||June 25th (Sun) - 30th (Fri), 2023 (tentative)|
|Venue||Okinawa Jichikaikan (Okinawa Pref. Municipal Center), 116-37, Asahimachi, Naha, Okinawa 900-0029, Japan|
|Host||Local Organizing Committee of ISDEIV2023|
|Publication||Special Issue of IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science|
|ISDEIV2023 Location PR|
Awards・The Dyke Award is administered to recognize an individual contributor to the science or application of electrical discharges or electrical insulation in vacuum for a body of significant contributions.
・The Chatterton Award is administered to recognize outstanding achievement of young investigators in the field of discharges and electrical insulation in vacuum and to encourage young scientists and engineers to enter this field.
・The "ISDEIV Best Paper Award – Japan Prize" is administered to recognize the most significant contribution of the past Symposium of ISDEIV. Significance will be judged by scientific or technological novelty and the likely impact on the fields of electrical discharges and electrical insulation in vacuum.
・The Best Film Award is administered to recognize the use of modern visualization techniques in particular movies and animation sequences in the field of discharges and electrical insulation in vacuum.
Walter P. Dyke Award
Any worker in the field may nominate a candidate. The nomination should be in the form of a letter to the Chair of the Awards Committee (currently Prof. Rene Smeets, mail to: rene.smeets(at)dnvgl.com), detailing the contribution of the candidate, and its significance. Publicity about the award should be included in each symposium proceedings, and in other media as appropriate. The deadline for nomination is November 30 of the year before the symposium.
Paul A. Chatterton Young Investigator Award
To be eligible for the Paul A. Chatterton Young Investigator Award, the candidate must
- be under the age of 35 as of the closing date of the symposium;
- present a paper at the ISDEIV in the Paul A. Chatterton Award Poster Session, of which he or she is either the sole author, or the first author of a multi-author paper (submission of a single-author paper is strongly encouraged).
Best Paper Award - Japan Prize
A. The contributions must be To be eligible for the Best Film Award, the candidate must present a paper at the ISDEIV symposium, in which the film is part of the work.
- presented at the symposium
- included in the Proceedings of the symposium in award-worthy quality.
- An altered and expanded version of the symposium contribution is required to be accepted for publication in a peer reviewed journal as determined by PISC. As of 2012, IEEE Transactions of Plasma Science (TPS) and IEEE Transactions of Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation (DEI) continue to be the designated peer-reviewed journals. Authors of TPS Special Issue will be automatically considered. Authors of manuscripts to DEI are requested to inform the Chair of the Awards Committee, Prof. Rene Smeets (rene.smeets(at)dnvgl.com), of the acceptance of manuscript. This will help the committee to not overlook candidates.
B. One contribution and one alternate will be nominated by the Awards Committee, a subcommittee of PISC. The Awards Committee will consult with the IEEE Guest Editors and PISC members. PISC members or Award Committee members who are nominated are excluded from any further discussions of the nomination and selection process.
C. The nominated contribution and the possible alternate will be recommended by the Award Committee to PISC for final confirmation and approval.
D. The PISC will make the final determination at its "interim meeting" (via e-mail or phone conference) between the Symposia. The Chair and Secretary of PISC are responsible for the organizing this meeting.
Best Film Award
Application for Best Film Award of ISDEIV2023
- The Film must be in AVI, MPEG-4, MOV or WMV format, and film duration must not be more than 5 minutes viewing time.
- Authors should apply the Best Film Award via e-mail with the subject of "Application for Best Film Award of ISDEIV2023".
E-mail: isdeiv2023＜at＞okicongre.jp ("＜at＞" should be replaced "@")
- Application deadline:
March 15, April 15, May 31 June 14, 2023
- Film file submission deadline: May 31, 2023 (Generally one month before the start date of the symposium)
You can refer further information here.
To be eligible for the Best Film Award, the candidate must present a paper at the ISDEIV symposium, in which the film is part of the work.
Registration is now available. (2022/12/15).
- Note that accommodation reservations can also be made through the registration system. (Hotel candidates.pdf)
- Programs for accompanying person will be available.
- Official Okinawa Travel Guide (in left column of this website) would greatly be helpful and attractive to know the symposium venue!
- If payment is not completed by Early Bird payment due date, it will automatically be switchd to Regular fee.
- Retired Person is required over 70 years old only.
Cancellation- Note that the registration fee once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
VISAPlease refer to the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan: https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html
Considering the current situation, we strongly recommend that all participants from China start the necessary procedures as soon as possible.
The Secretariat will start VISA application process for the participants from April. Please complete your participation registration for ISDEIV2023 first!
Note on submission of FINAL VERSION of your manuscript
Step 1: Before Creating a PDF
・Add the copyright notice (© 2023 The Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan.) to the bottom of the first page of your source document. (example: docx, pdf)
- Easy way for authors having used the MS-Word template on this site:
[Insert]tub --> [Footer] --> [Edit Footer], then check [Different First Page]
・Proofread your source document thoroughly to confirm that it will require no revision.
Step 2: Creating your PDF eXpress Account
・Log in to the IEEE PDF eXpressTM site
・First-time users should do the following:
1. Select the New Users. Click Here link.
2. Enter the following: 55268X for the Conference ID, your email address and a password
3. Continue to enter information as prompted.
An Online confirmation will be displayed and an email confirmation will be sent verifying your account setup.
Previous users of PDF eXpress need to follow the above steps, but should enter the same password that was used for previous conferences.
Verify that your contact information is valid.
Step 3: Submission of your processed PDF
・The FINAL VERSION of your manuscript processed by PDF eXpress should be submitted by the same way as your previous manuscript
at ISDEIV2023 full paper submission site.
・We request that the file name of your submitting final version includes Paper ID and is as following style: "IS230001-final.pdf".
- Make sure the header "30th International Symposium on Discharges and Electrical Insulatoin in Vacuum" is included.
- Papers submitted to ISDEIV2023 should be A4 paper size. Please use [conference, a4paper] option for IEEEtran.cls document class in LaTeX.
Proceedings of ISDEIV2023You are requried for a password to download the proceedings.
High resolution, table of contents linked to each proceeding with "Back botton" in footer
High resolution, table of contents linked to each proceeding
Low resolution, table of contents unlinked to each proceeding
Program of ISDEIV2023- Program_230620.pdf
- Program at a glance_230526.pdf
- Preliminary program_230523.pdf
Workshop [Jun. 25 (Sun)]・Workshop-I
10:30-12:00 @Mercure Hotel OKINAWA NAHA
"Optical Diagnostics of Electrical Discharge and Insulation in Vacuum"
Prof. Akiko Kumada and Prof. Yuki Inada
14:00-17:20 @Mercure Hotel OKINAWA NAHA
"Presenting Your Research Effectively"
Prof. Raymond L. BOXMAN
Note that on Jun. 25, the registration will also be done at the same venue of Mercure Hotel.
Presentation timeAll speakers are asked to keep to their allocated time.
Special oral presentations: 22 minutes, 2 minutes for questions and answers, 1 minute for movement
(*Subject to change depending on the presenter)
General oral presentation: 12 minutes, 2 minutes for Q&A, 1 minute for movement
Venue and Access
On Jun. 25, the registration and the welcome reception will be made at Mercure Hotel.
|Deadline for abstract submission|
|Nortification of abstract acceptance||December 15, 2022|
|Deadline for full paper submission||March
|Nortification of full paper acceptance||April 7, 2023|
|A:||BREAKDOWN AND FLASHOVER|
|A1.||Vacuum breakdown and pre-breakdown phenomena|
|A2.||Surface discharges and flashover phenomena|
|B1.||Switching in vacuum and related phenomena|
|B2.||Interaction of vacuum arcs with magnetic fields|
|B3.||Vacuum arc physics|
|B4.||Computer modeling and computer aided design|
|B5.||Pulsed power physics and technology|
|C1.||Vacuum interrupters and their applications|
|C2.||Surface science and modification and related technologies|
|C3.||Electron, ion, neutron, X-ray and other beam and light sources|
|C4.||Accelerator and fusion reactor related issues|
|C5.||Space related technologies|
|C6.||Vacuum microelectronics and their applications|
Invited speakers (To be added)
|Prof. Emer. Yoshio Saito
High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK),
|Vacuum technology for constructing large-scaled systems||Prof. Hitoshi Kuninaka
Institute of Space and Astronautical Science,
|State-of-the-art Ion Engine onboard Hayabusa/Hayabusa2 Asteroid Explorers
- Design Philosophy for Discharge and Electrical Insulation -
|Prof. Lijun Wang
State Key Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Power Equipment, Xi'an Jiaotong University,
P. R. China
|Numerical simulation of multi-components vacuum arcs with different anode modes|
|Dr. Sergey Gortschakow
Leibniz institute for plasma science and technology (INP),
|Optical diagnostics of switching vacuum arcs|
|Dr. Hitoshi Saito
|Development of High voltage VCBs as a candidate for SF6 free switching equipment|
|Dr. Thomas Heinz
Siemens Energy Global GmbH & Co. KG,
|Why vacuum technology is not a simple scaling from MV to HV?|
|Dr. Andreas Kyritsakis
Institute of Technology, University of Tartu (UT),
|Understanding vacuum arc ignition by concurrent multi-physics simulations|
|Dr. Gianluigi Serianni
|Overview of the Neutral Beam Injector for ITER|
|Dr. Soichiro Matsunaga
Research & Development Group, Hitachi Ltd.,
|High-voltage engineering in vacuum and with electron beams for Scanning electron microscope|
|Shenli JIA||P.R. China||Chair|
|Alexander BATRAKOV||Russia||Vice Chair|
|Matthew M. HOPKINS||USA||Treasurer|
|René P.P. SMEETS||Netherlands||Awards Comm. Chair|
|Raymond L. BOXMAN||Israel|
|Antonio DE LORENZI||Italy|
|Leslie T. FALKINGHAM||United Kingdom|
|H. Craig MILLER||USA|
|Satoru YANABU||Japan (R. P. China)|
|Jiyan ZOU||P. R. China|
Local Organizing Committee -LOC
|Eiji Kaneko||University of the Ryukyus||Chair|
|Akiko Kumada||The University of Tokyo||Vice Chair|
|Yasushi Yamano||Saitama University||Secretary|
|Hiroki Kojima||Nagoya University||Editor of Proceedings|
|Shigemi Harada||University of the Ryukyus|
|Satoru Yanabu||Xi'an Jiaotong University|
|Shinichi Kobayashi||Saitama University|
|Shin Kajita||The University of Tokyo|
|Toru Iwao||Tokyo City University|
|Yuki Inada||Saitama University|
|Kazuhiro Toyoda||Kyushu Institute of Technology|
|Hiroshi Akatsuka||Tokyo Institute of Technology|
|Masahiro Sasaki||University of Tsukuba|
|Takayasu Fujino||University of Tsukuba|
|Yasunori Tanaka||Kanazawa University|
|Yusuke Nakano||Kanazawa Universtiy|
|Hiroyuki Iwabuchi||Shonan Institute of Technology|
|Yoshimitsu Niwa||Toshiba Infrastructure Systems & Solutions Corporation|
|Naoki Asari||Toshiba Infrastructure Systems & Solutions Corporation|
|Akira Daibo||Toshiba Infrastructure Systems & Solutions Corporation|
|Kota Hamada||Toshiba Infrastructure Systems & Solutions Corporation|
|Hajime Urai||Daido University|
|Hiroshi Morita||Hitachi, Ltd.|
|Kunihiko Tomiyasu||Hitachi, Ltd.|
|Hirotaka Torii||Fuji Electric CO., LTD.|
|Taiki Donen||Mitsubishi Electric Corporation|
|Hideaki Fukuda||MEIDENSHA CORPORATION|